My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Friday, March 27, 2015

Spring News


We are now exiting from the long tunnel of winter. I am defrosting and can finally feel the magic of spring in New York again. I have been thinking about climate change and energy this winter. 

There is a key in my hand from my old apartment in Tokyo that I haven't used in 13 years. I lived with a man who supported my artistic activities and studied solar system to create sustainable energy. I am participating in an exhibition "Tsukumogami" near by my old apartment in Tokyo. Through an old key, I looked back into my past and reconsidered my present.

"Tsukumogami" 
Tsukumo-Gami is a god or soul which dwells in household items once owned by humans that have been forgotten about. It is one of the Japanese folk beliefs. 


Exhibition: Friday March 27-Sunday April 5
Only Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 12-7 PM
Art Studio Dungeon
Yamato cho 2-1 Itabashi ku Tokyo 

"Women in the Heights: The Human Essence"
March 11th was the 4th anniversary of the Great East Japan earthquake. Nuclear power plants are currently all stopped in Japan. However people are not troubled by lack of energy. Most people aren't talking about the radiation problems there anymore. I am showing one of my pieces that is related to Japanese nuclear issues. 



Exhibition: Tuesday, March 31- ,Thursday May 7  
Opening Tuesday, March 31  6:30-8:30 PM.
5030 Broadway (between 213th St and 214th St) New York NY 10034.
Artist Talk : April 20th 6-8 PM  
I will talk about the relationship between atomic bombs and nuclear power plants in Japan. Also, I will talk briefly about my current book project, "Under this sky", about the Three Mile Island accident and related nuclear issues.
CUNY in the Heights RSVP: info@nomaanyc.org


March 28th will be 36th anniversary of the Three Mile Island accident.
It was the worst accident in the United States' commercial nuclear power plant history. Nowadays more and more people don't  know there was  once an accident at the nuclear power plant of Three Mile Island.

Experimental Bookmaking 
April 29 - May 1 at Gettysburg College in PA
I am working on a book arts project called "Under this sky" with a Gettysburg College Japanese class and their teacher. In this project we are researching about the Three Mile Island accident, writing reports in Japanese, and making books with Japanese style bindings.

The radiation has not disappeared. It is still there.  Radiation is invisible and it has been forgotten. The truth is often invisible. The NPT (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) Peace Walkers are coming to New York at the end of this April. I plan to walk with them in order to feel invisible and remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment