My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Happy New Year 2016 and Reflection on 2015



Under the clear sky, suddenly the cold winter came back to New York. My mind and body became refreshed in the beginning of 2016. In 2015 I continued my explorations in new directions, while looking back at my past work.  I have challenged myself with creating new work that fills in the boundary between art and journalism.

Asabujuban Gallery

I collaboratively taught how to create books and researched the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant accident with a Japanese class at Gettysburg College. I visited the French nuclear reprocessing facility AREVA la Hague, the radioactive waste storage study center
at the French ANDRA, and the Belgian HADES.


I made black and white photo panels entitled "Under this sky" that overlapped sky photos of New York and my photo documentation. 
I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to Azabujuban Gallery in Tokyo which gave me the opportunity to show my new work. 

Souma city Decontamination sites

After the Great East Japan Earthquake of 2011, I finally got to see the Fukushima disaster area, seeing temporary housing, decontamination sites, and traces of tsunami damage in November, 2015. I have been making a Powerpoint presentation to depict what 
I witnessed. 

Takahama Nuclear Power Plants

On August 11th, 2015, the Sendai nuclear power plant was the first Japanese nuclear power plant to resume operation since all Japanese nuclear power plants ceased operation on September 15, 2013.          I visited the Takahama nuclear plant area where one quarter of Japanese nuclear power plants are concentrated. The Takahama nuclear power plant has been discussed as being one of the next plants that might resume operation. 

Shioya town

This research was very important to me in thinking about my hometown Shioya which became a candidate to be a radioactive waste final disposal site. Wthout other people's help, I wouldn’t have had these experiences. I am deeply grateful toward them as I think of each person's face, and continue creating related works.

This year will be 5 years since the Fukushima nuclear accident, and 30 years since the Chernobyl nuclear accident. These anniversaries are times for reflection. There are many things I've experienced recently which I need time to reflect on and digest in order to transform myself naturally. I'd like to review the things I've lost and rebuild my foundation this year. I wish you quality time and good health in 2016.


1 comment: