My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Wake-up Call


The anti-lockdown demonstration was held in New York city on November 22nd. New York City has been hit hard financially and its damage is immeasurable.Economic disparities are widening, and dividing people's minds. In the 2020 Thanksgiving holiday, Many people spent time away from family and friends for Covid 19.The president-elect is on trial for fraudulent elections, and has not yet been officially decided. Unless this fraud issue is settled and the trust of the government and the people is regained, no matter who becomes president, a bright future of healing and unity will not come. 

The 2020 elections gave me the opportunity to look back on my 26 years of experience in this country and think about why I chose to live in the United States. I realized that this journey was to free me from my own brainwashing. This election became the wake-up call.


Recently, I often recall the last day I returned from Japan to New York. My mother came to the station to see me off. She was watching over me standing on the other side of the station platform until the train arrived. The time of indescribable silence passed until the train arrived and I boarded. The moment the train started moving, I couldn't see my mother waving because of tears. At that time, I foresaw that it might be a long farewell. However I didn't think about covid 19 pandemic at all.


2019 was a busy year and I had a lot of experience, but I didn't have time to digest it. This year, Covid 19 has given me time to explore and think about the various aspects of past events. Biased coverage of mainstream media is terrible, and SNS censorship and information control violate American Freedom speech. While listening to the voice from my heart’s what kind of world I want to live in, and I am gazing at what is happening in the world right now.


Rewind Time: Return to Japan 2  (11/27/2018-1/7/2019)



When I asked my mother what she wanted for her 80th birthday, she told me she wanted to spend the New Year with me. Therefore, I had the New Year 2019 in Japan for the first time in 24 years.


My mother enjoyed her life by volunteering with friends to visit the Elderly Housing to perform dances and songs. After being banned from going out due to Covid19, she spent her time at home decluttering unnecessary things at the house, growing vegetables at the garden, and taking care of my father who had dementia. She has always lived her life brightly and with fun. Thanks to my sister who presented the smartphone to mother.I was able to fill in the time and distance to talk face to face with her.


This stay in Japan began with news of my niece's pregnancy and ended with the news of my uncle's death. I had been Thinking about life and death, and fascinated by the beauty of the starry sky seen from the window on the second floor of my parents' bedroom, and had felt the time due to the ebb and flow of the moon. 


Fukushima Children's Exposure Trial



When I saw the flyer with the word "Ran away" and butterflies and sky design, I felt the commonality with the theme of my work, and felt the inevitability of coming here. Before the Fukushima Children's Exposure Trial began, I handed out the flyers in front of Fukushima Station. It was a surreal moment, and I had the illusion of participating in an art performance.



In 2016, I met Ayako, who was organizing thyroid cancer screening for children in Yaita City and Shioya Town, which were the candidates for a nuclear waste treatment plant at my first time exhibition in my hometown. I heard from her that there is a group that is gathering citizens' voices to make a law to help those exposed in the 311 Fukushima nuclear disaster, and she asked me to join the group of  “Chernobyl Law Japanese Version”. Since then, I've been on their mailing list. 


I went to the children exposure trial in Fukushima and met members of the group, Toshio Yanagihara, an attorney for this trial and Toshiko Okada, an anti-nuclear activist. I was able to talk with Kiyoko Mito, the co-representative, and Sumio Konno, the representative of the plaintiffs. It was an important experience to get information directly from the parties and supporters of this issue.



The Fukushima Children's Exposure Trial, which began in August 2014, has been around for a long time, and the decision was set on March 1, 2021. On the way to the Fukushima court by taking a train, I reconfirmed that my parents' house was close to Fukushima. Next year will be 10 years since the Fukushima accident. Contrary to the fading memory of radiation damage, it still exists and is eroding our bodies. Contrary to the fading memory of radiation damage, it still exists and is contaminating our bodies.


Takagi School 20th Anniversary



For the past few years, every time I return to Japan,  I have learned about nuclear issues by participating in civic lectures by Takagi School.Takagi School was founded in 1998 with the aim of developing "citizen scientists" based on the Right Livelihood Award, which was awarded to anti-nuclear scientist and activist Jinzaburo Takagi before he died of cancer.



In commemoration of the 20th anniversary, there was an event by people who knew Jinzaburo Takagi. I felt that many people inherited his ideas. Guest speaker Arthur Binard talked about nuclear brainwashing under the title "Christmas Gifts from Reactors” while giving the audience an American candy called "Atomic Fireball”. How to convey own thoughts to others is an important issue to deepen mutual understanding. For that purpose, it is necessary to grasp things from multiple directions and convey others in an easy-to-understand and unique way. I thought the key is how to incorporate humanity elements to the topic of science.


Tokorozawa Peace Movement Citizens Group 



In 2015, I met Kohei Numao, a clinical psychologist at the support meeting for the Idogawa trial, which is one of the Fukushima exposure lawsuits. He has been organizing a citizen peace group in Tokorozawa, Saitama. We learned there are common concerns and goal. Every time I returned to Japan, I was given the opportunity to report on my overseas activities at Tokorozawa, Saitama Prefecture.


Saitama is familiar to me because I spent my childhood in the place where I was born. It was heartwarming to interact with people who understand and support activities that seek to raise awareness of social issues through art. There is  a communication base of the US Air Force near the Aviation Memorial Park at Tokorozawa. Therefore, many residents are highly conscious of peace and are enthusiastic about civic activities.



Takashi Kamogawa, who is the organizer of this area, has a partner, Tamiko, who is from Okinawa. They support the movement against US military bases in Okinawa. Taminko's mother, Takeko who died, was an avid activist. When I heard Tamiko talk about her mother's life, her words reminded me of the Okinawan protesters I met. I felt that the spirit of Okinawa, which protects the dignity of life, is passed down from parents to children through deep love.


"Is it true we are on the road to a war country again ?”


Tuesday December 18, 2018  13: 30-16: 30

Shin-Tokorozawa Community center


"March 1st Movement 100th anniversary" 

CHOI Seungkoo: Japan-Korea, Korea-Japan anti-nuclear peace solidarity secretary general 


Human experimentation of Unit 731 in Biological Warfare

Fuyuko Nishizato: journalist, former German national broadcaster ZDF producer


The US military base in Asia.

Yasuyo Tanaka: Social Practice Artist, Educator



After the event, we ate and interacted with each other. That night, I stayed at the house of Teruko Usami, a war-experienced person, and learned about her experience she transformed from military girl to a peace activist. Being an honor student and a serious girl, she was swallowed by a wave of totalitarianism in the wartime propaganda. 



Our way of thinking is greatly influenced by what kind of information we have. It is important not to be dominated by information, but to actively investigate and disseminate information. Education that cultivates the sensibility and ability to clarify awareness and express own opinion is indispensable.


Make Fuchu an artistic City



Fuchu City, which prospered as a post town centered on shrines, is a calm residential area that left the tradition of Japan. A little far from the center of Fuchu Station, there are the USFJ Fuchu Communications Station managed by the US Air Force, and Fuchu Prison. Fuchu is a multifaceted and interesting city.



For the past few years, "Fuchu Art Festival for living and expression" has been held around Fuchu Station. It has been opening up public markets, shops, restaurants, offices and private houses to display art and hold events.



I was blessed with the opportunity to participate in a three-person exhibition at Gallery Do Do, which introduces contemporary art in Fuchu city. In a unique and attractive exhibition space, I installed works with the theme of keys and houses. Thanks to the gallery owner Tuneo Arase, viewers, and participating artists Naoko and Hideyuki, it was a very nice experience.


In Covid19, the meaning and necessity of the existence of a place is questioned.The work is completed by time, space and people. Even the same work continues to change and grow.



Three persons show: 

Hideyuki Kidawara, Naoko Hobayashi, Yasuyo Tanaka

Saturday December 8 - Monday 24

12: 00-18: 00 Closed on Monday 10th and 17th

Gallery Do Do


Yaita City Local activities



At the Yaita City library, I selected photographs related to my independent research on nuclear issues and related books, and exhibited together.


I happened to find the book In Mortal Hands: A Cautionary History of the Nuclear Age by Stephanie Cooke, which I read shortly after 311. Inspired by the hidden information that is one of the themes of this book, I began to investigate the nuclear issue myself. When I was able to see the connections of events happening here and there, I  reached at  hidden information.Two years later, I'm starting to understand what it is as the US presidential election continues.


At the talk event, I introduced examples of overseas cities'  activities using PowerPoint, and discussed with the participants what kind of city they would like to live in and how to realize their wishes. Around this time, I began to think that creating an environment in which I wanted to live was an art in itself.



"Beyond time and space" Exhibition

Tuesday, December 4- Sunday, January 6, 

10: 00-20: 00, last day until 17:00

Yaita City Library Front Lobby


“Creating a Town” Artist Talk

Yasuyo Tanaka

Sunday January 6 

14: 00 ~ 16: 00

Yaita City Library Audiovisual Room


“Discover Tochigi” Exhibition

Saturday December 22 - Monday January 14  

9: 30 ~ 16: 00

Road station Yaita Eco model house”


“Wish Card Making” Workshop

Monday December 24 10: 30 ~ 15: 00

Discovering Sophia's Treasure Mountain Orienteering

Cocomachi 2F Children's Plaza JR Yaita Station East Exit



This year's return to Japan has been canceled by Covid 19, and I feel that the world is undergoing major changes. Many artists have left New York City due to the closure of museums, galleries, and theaters. 


Since 2015, my 16 prints had been exhibited at the Asian language school "Hills Learning" in Midtown. However It closed due to Covid 19, and shifted to only online classes. Last month I brought my works back to my apartment.










No comments:

Post a Comment