My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Monday, February 1, 2021

Beginning of 2021

The rainy weather forecast was brilliantly off, and my new year began with a dazzling sunrise in the Central Park. Last year, I spent most of my time in parks. 2020 was a year when I felt the natural providence of life and death. I hope this sunlight leads to entry of a new, peaceful cycle.


During a lockdown, I spent a quiet time while thinking about myself and my home. I renewed my second US permanent resident card. In retrospect, I spent half my life in New York City. During that time, I have  witnessed the changes in New York City. Last year, I experienced the aha moments when some memories I had been concerned in in the past were connected with current situations and began to realize its meanings. 


Electoral fraud became a major issue, and the ongoing turmoil in the presidential election reached its peak on January 6th. I have been feeling a sense of crisis that freedom of speech has been violated by biased coverage and unilateral censorship in mainstream media and social networks. If this goes on, our world might shift to controlled totalitarianism. 



Looking back on the changes in New York City over the past year, I am asking myself what it means to live in this place and this era, and what kind of future I hope to live in.  While listening to the voice from my heart and doing honest activities to myself, I will search for its answer. 


 the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons announcement



The day I saw the orange clouds from the window in the morning. On January 22nd, the treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons went into effect in the 50 countries and regions ratifying it. I participated in a rally held in front of the United Nations. It was the day when one of the results of many years of people's peace activities came out. I had mixed feelings because A-bombed country Japan and Atomic bomb holding countries didn't participate in the treaty.


Unfortunately, I couldn't reunite with many of my friends who had previously met and worked anti-nuclear and peace activities at a faceless rally with all masks. Thinking about the people who couldn't come here, and the hibakusha around the world, I prayed that the war would not be repeated by a society where double standards have become commonplace. 

 

The signboard of the homeless "WE THE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN" living in front of the towering United Nations and the sight of prayer with peoples’ long-standing wishes for peace, were symbolically visible to me.


Since the Manhattan Project for atomic bomb development began in New York City, the world has been polluted by nuclear weapons , nuclear power plants, uranium mine minings, nuclear waste, etc. There are more than 1000 Superfund sites on the National Priorities List in the United States. New York City also has hotspots. Unless we face radiation damage as our own problem, we might be one of the victims without knowing. 

Virtual Exhibition: Interpretations in Textures


I participate in the virtual exhibition "Interpretations in Textures"curated by Tiffanee E. Thompson at the BxArts Factory.  One of my work titled “trinity” is on the theme of nuclear bomb. In the artist talk, I will also talk about when I participated in the commemorative event of the Trinity site, which was the first experimental site for the atomic bomb. 

On View from Tuesday January 7th to February 12th.
Opening Thursday, January 7th, 2021 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm

Interpretations in Texture, curated by Tiffanee E. Thompson, is a group virtual exhibition, presented by BxArts Factory, that explores the many ways that we interpret our lives. Through printmaking and the incredible eye of our strong female-led lineup, you, our audience, will have the opportunity to step into how their imagination and personal experiences have developed into works of art that is both relatable and pushes the boundaries of the limitations of life. Mixed with symbolism, collage, historical context, cultural context and the beautiful uses of color, shading and shadow we can explore artwork that honors personal interpretation and experiences with universal themes such as family, immigration, pain, joy, motherhood, design and imagination.

This exhibition will take you on a journey of how important it is to understand the process of creation, the experience of the artist and how that experience has impacted the way in which they share their life’s work with us all. 

Participating Artists: 
Luanda Lozano
Palén Obesa
Rachel Sydlowski
Yasuyo Tanaka
Tammy Wofsey

No comments:

Post a Comment