My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Friday, November 12, 2021

Peace and Harmony Project Report , Autumn News


Autumn has arrived and is progressing. It’s a beautiful, colorful season. At the same time, the fallen leaves signal that the end of the year approaches. 

With the support of a City Artist Corps Grant, I presented several Peace & Harmony Japanese paper workshops from July through October. Using Japanese paper, dyed by participants, 30 paper cranes, and 5 medicine balls, that consist of 30 origami flowers each, were completed in collaboration with several groups of participants.

Kusudama (medicine balls), were made by people of different races, ages, genders, personalities, and ways of thinking, with the common desire for health, long life, and peace. The flowers were folded out of hand-dyed Japanese paper of many patterns and colors, were tied with threads, and became harmonious and beautiful works that symbolize our hopes.                    

                                               


Through this project, I was able to meet many people and communities. The conversations during our workshops brought us together. We learned about current events we are dealing with from various angles.

Many participants said that origami was therapeutic. Origami can be used to improve patience and concentration, as well as to prevent dementia and stress. The smiles of the participants as they completed their works, became a driving force for me. Thank you very much to the host organizations, the participants, and NY Foundation for the Arts which provided a City Artist Corps Grant. Fueled by these positive experiences, I will continue my Peace & Harmony Project.

 

Looking back, since I started working with Japanese paper in the United States 20 years ago, I have wanted to share and spread the Japanese culture that values harmony. Mr. Matsuda, a Japanese-American artist who I met through peace activities, arranged to have me teach workshops at this year’s Japan Festival in Boston on December 4th and 5th. 


 

Peace and Harmony Workshops are planned to be held between January 22nd and February 12th at Children's Art Carnival in New York City. Coincidentally, about 25 years ago, Robert Blackburn introduced me to Betty Blayton Taylor, the founder of the Children's Art Carnival. Robert Blackburn was the founder of the Robert Blackburn Printmaking Workshop. The first organization to collaborate on my Peace and Harmony project was the Robert Blackburn Printmaking Workshop. I felt that the legacy of the two founders have been passed down us. The circle of peace has been expanding. I update the details once the dates and times are decided.I look forward to your participation.


When I made my first Kusudama as a sample for the workshop, my memories of Japanese paper were all connected and became one shape. The process of transforming plain Japanese paper into colorful dyed Japanese paper, and then into flower origami, and finally into a medicine ball, made a strong impression on me. One of the purposes of these workshops was to see and feel these transformational changes now. 


This first Kusudama will be shown at the 39th Annual Wreath Interpretations Exhibition at the Arsenal Gallery in Central Park, from Wednesday December 1, 2021 – Thursday January 6, 2022. 




"Extraction: Art on the Edge of the Abyss” Exhibition

Curators are Robin Dintiman, Holly Downing, and Catherine Devriese

Sebastopol Center for the Arts

October 23 through November 28, 2021

Saturday 10/23  1-3pm
Opening reception
Sunday 11/7  6pm
Rush Rheem of Stanford showing his film on “From Sopocles to Rachel Carson and beyond.”
Thursday 11/18  6:30-8pm
Native American drum and song group, poetry reading, Linda Lucille Day, David Holt, as well as several other panelists.


The exhibition is dealing with various environmental issues.  My work is on the theme of nuclear issues in Japan and the United States.


One of my goals is to hold exhibitions and festivals on environmental issues in New York City. I value the connections built in the workshops, and want to learn more about my local areas, in order to create healthier and safer communities with my neighbors.


No comments:

Post a Comment