My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Sunday, April 3, 2022

A New Beginning


Cherry blossoms are blooming and green is returning. Around this time last year, I got COVID-19, took a rest at home, and recovered without any medicine. After waking up from a long sleep, the first place I visited was Morningside Park.I saw the Statue of Liberty, laying down with her eyes closed, and met Zaq Landsberg, who created the artwork titled "Reclining Liberty”.



Inspired by "Reclining Liberty", which seemed to represent current situations in New York City, I wanted to know what New Yorkers think of this statue. I learned that this statue would be removed on 4/22/22. I started thinking about what I could do, and told other artists about “Reclining Liberty”. The idea I had a year ago is now bearing fruit. 16 performers, neighbors, friends, and local organizations interested in "Reclining Liberty"gathered. Something new has begun.



Reclining Liberty Project

Saturday, April 9 from 1 PM to 5 PM in Morningside Park @ West 120th St and Morningside Avenue.


With gratitude for the impact of Zaq's work over the past year, artists influenced by his work will come together, and exercise their freedom, to present their individual and collective responses to "Reclining Liberty”. The COVID-19 pandemic were in place, and parks became the only place of relaxation that everyone could enjoy equally. Freedom lives in the parks!  Let’s have a wonderful time on this beautiful Spring afternoon, interacting and confirming each other’s collective freedom with music, dance, drama, and poetry


Facebook: Reclining Liberty Project.



“Women in the Heights Up Close and Personal”

Curated by Andrea Arroyo

March 17 – May 15, 2022

Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance

Gallery Space at 4140 Broadway, New York, NY 10033

between 175th St. and 176th St.

(212) 567-439



Artist Talk: April 5th, 5:30-7:30 pm 

I will talk about the relationship between the medicine ball and my family. Based on my story “Overcoming”, I will perform on Saturday April 9th in Morningside Park in front of “Reclining Liberty” 


Vimeo: Overcoming



Memory + Healing + Sustainability: 

West Harlem Arts 2nd Annual Exhibition

April 21– July 16, 2022

Opening: Saturday April 23

Hours Saturday +Sunday 12 -6pm

During weekdays Please RSVP childrensartcarnival@gmail.com

Children's Art Carnival

62 Hamilton Terrace, New York, NY 10031

Centro Civico Cultural Dominicano 

619 W 145th St, New York, NY 10031 


Kusudama (Medicine Balls): Wishes For Our Future

Medicine balls, called kusudama, made from Japanese paper, by participants of "Peace and Harmony" origami workshops. Thank you very much to all participants, hosts, and City Artist Corps Grants! 


Peace and Harmony: Japanese Paper Workshops

Collaborative work 


Children's Art Carnival 

Centro Civico Cultural Dominicano 

Tenants Association 610 West 145th St.

Manhattanville Community Center

Robert Blackburn Printmaking Workshop
First Quincy Street Community Garden



With Lower Manhattan Cultural Council Creative Learning Grant support, I’ll continue Peace and Harmony Workshops, and hold a Wish Exhibition at the Manhattanville Community Center this summer. Please write your wish for our future on a Wish Strip with map image during the Memory + Healing + Sustainability Exhibition. I’ll hang these at Manhattanville Community Center’s Wish Exhibition.


In our unstable world of war, pollution, nuclear threats, and the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s important to create harmony and peace, and to respect individual freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment