My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Report of Japanese Exhibitions



I recently spent 7 weeks in Japan and came back to New York 2 weeks ago. Japan and China are having a sovereignty dispute over the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea. Japanese state secrets law
was enacted late Friday night in December 6.

During my journey I thought a lot about freedom of expression.
These 3 exhibitions led to many interesting experiences.



View Touch Listen Art Exhibition
November 3 - December 23, 2013
Tochigi, Japan
Tochigi Prefectural Museum   

This exhibition challenges traditional museum visits and viewings. Besides viewing the art, museum goers were allowed to enjoy touching, smelling, and hearing the art. The museum had me, two other visual artists, and a dancer teach in the school and then the students’ work was displayed in the museum. You can enjoy a variety of artworks and materials by 14 artists.


"Artists in the School" program is a collaboration workshop between the museum and school. I taught in the Middle School part of the Tochigi Prefectural School for the Blind, and at the Bunsei Girls' High School. My work entitled "my key” was exhibited along with the students' work. “Everybody is born with a key. It is a key that can be used to help people notice the meaning of life”. As a record of their own current and future life, students created precious artist books on the theme of their own key at my workshop. I aim to train our mind’s eyes to feel ourselves, others, and society.

This exhibition is up until December 23rd in Japan.
I hope many people see this exhibition and that this and other museums continue to support art education. Please spread this information to your friends and associates.


Invisible visible Solo Show
November 2nd - November 19th, 2013
Tochigi, Japan
Gallery Space Nezumi Ana

Things that can not be seen come into view when I have the freedom to take responsibility for my actions and my thoughts.


Abiko International Open-Air Art Exhibition
October 12 - November 10, 2013
Chiba, Japan

This international outdoor exhibition began in order to call attention to water pollution in Lake Tega in Chiba Prefecture.

I made big paper mache eggs covered with newspaper articles with the audience. Production of the work was carried out around the table.
We exchanged information and discussed social problems.
People often get confused in the information overload of modern society. I made a big bird's nest out of local tree branches that fell during the recent typhoon and I placed my paper mache eggs in it.






At the opening, I performed "all things are linked" to remind us all of the threat of radioactivity, and the relationship between personal responsibility and environmental pollution.

Invited artists who came from Germany, Iceland, Togo, Australia, Japan, and the USA participated. In a dark warehouse everybody wore white hazmat suits (protective clothing). Paper mache eggs that were covered with newspaper articles were on the stage. Images of atomic bombs, nuclear power plants, and the most recent Friday demonstration were projected on the wall and on the hazmat suits. As the images were projected, narration about radioactivity and Lake Tega’s pollution was heard. In the last scene, each participant said "all things are linked" in their own language. Then, they all said their phrase again at the same time.

I would like to perform more "all things are linked".
Please let me know if you are interested in my project.


No comments:

Post a Comment