My desire to create art comes from my search for the meaning of our existence. I use my artwork as a key to understand others and myself. The most precious thing in my life is the growth process. Art is my guide and mentor....

Monday, May 18, 2015

Summer news

The earth is blossoming with beautiful green plants. It looks like everything is well underway. However, danger has been lurking in our ordinary lives. I saw the documentary movie "Indian Point" at the Tribeca Film Festival. Indian Point is the nuclear power plant closest to New York City. On May 9th, 2015 Indian Point had an explosion, fire, and leaked thousands of gallons of transformer fluid into the Hudson River which flows directly to New York City. New York City has the highest concentration of people in the USA and is only about 30 miles south of Indian Point. This is the time to close Indian Point and other nuclear power plants.

I had a project to research the Three Mile Island nuclear power plant accident and make handmade books with Gettysburg College students in an advanced Japanese class. I will be researching about nuclear and immigration issues in the Netherlands, Belgium, and France in June. Please let me know if you have any thoughts on these issues.

This research will inform and fuel my new work. My summer projects are to create new work based on this research while thinking about what can be done in art. I wish you a productive and rewarding summer!

EXHIBITION

" The Beaver Valley Nuclear Power plant" 
The Beaver Valley Nuclear Power plant is located
 in Shippingport, Pennsylvania,  
the “birthplace” of commercial nuclear power.

21 Polygons
An exhibition of recent work by RBPMW Monitors and Interns
May 21 - June 8, 2015
Opening Reception: Thursday, May 21, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Blackburn 20|20
The Elizabeth Foundation for the Arts
323 West 39th Street FL 5
NY, NY 10018

Wanderlust + Manhattan
May 22nd - June 28th.
Exchange Exhibition
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts 
Townsville, Australia

An Umbrella Studio curated exhibition of prints created by members of PressNorth Printmakers and the New York Manhattan Graphics Centre. An international exchange with the works being simultaneously displayed at both galleries.

Women in the Heights: The Human Essence
This exhibition has generated a great response and the NoMAA Gallery has extended the exhibition through June 30th, 2015. It will be part of NoMAA's Art Stroll.


I recently saw an old fallout shelter's signboard a few blocks away from NoMAA gallery. It reminded me that we live just 35 miles from the old, failing, Indian Point nuclear power plant. It is an eerie coincidence that the old fallout shelter sign is so near where my work "all things are linked 311" is currently on display.

WORKSHOP



Collagraph 
August 4th - 18th
3 Sessions: Tuesdays
6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Class fee: $205 members / $245 non-members
Includes 8 hours of free studio time
Robert Blackburn Printmaking Workshop
323 West 39th Street FL 2
NY, NY 10018


No comments:

Post a Comment